It’s not quite feeling fall-y here in California yet, but I’m very well aware that other places are definitely starting to cool down. Before everyone at the office seems to be reaching for the tissue boxes and toting around cough drops, why not give your immune system a bit of extra support? These 3 immunity-boosting green smoothies will do just the trick. They’re are loaded with vitamins and minerals that protect our bodies from free radicals, toxins and other harmful nasties in our environment. You’ll also find a few bonus superfoods in each for a little extra nutrition oomph. Cheers to staying sniffle-free!
Vanilla Clementine Green Smoothie
What makes it great: This blend features moringa powder, which comes (not surprisingly) from the moringa tree. It’s also known as ‘the miracle tree’, and once you dig into its health benefits, it’s pretty clear why! Moringa has been used in functional nutrition to support a wide range of health conditions, thanks to its rich nutrition profile. It’s a source of plant-based iron, and provides other valuable minerals including magnesium, phosphorous, zinc, folate and vitamin C. It’s got antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial properties to help keep the immune system strong, and can also be beneficial for digestive health and supporting detoxification.Print
Vegan-friendly, rich in vitamin C and fiber, this green smoothie also contains moringa, a mighty plant with mega anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits. It’s believed to provide a boost of (all-natural, non-jittery) energy, support digestion and help with the detoxification of heavy metals from our bodies. It tastes quite green on its own, but you’d never know it was hiding in this super citrusy-tasting smoothie.
- 1 scoop high quality vanilla protein powder (I use Vega Sport Performance Protein)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 handful fresh organic spinach leaves
- 2 clementines, peeled
- 1 tsp moringa powder
- 1/2 small peeled frozen banana
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 ice cubes
- Toss all ingredients into the blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Add a bit more ice if needed to thicken the consistency of the smoothie.
- Pour into a tall glass and serve.
Immunity-Boosting Pineapple Kiwi Coconut Smoothie Bowl
What makes it great: This smoothie bowl includes chaga, a medicinal mushroom prized for its adaptogenic properties. (More interesting nuggets on adaptogens here!) In short, chaga and other adaptogens hep our bodies respond more effectively to stress – including stress on the immune system. Chaga mushrooms can be boiled into tea, but the form used here is a powdered version that you won’t be able to taste because of the delicious, tropical flavours in this smoothie.
You’ll also find pineapple and kiwi in this bowl, (both of which are high in vitamin C) as well as ginger for its anti-fungal, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Phew, what a mouthful!Print
Made with chaga, a functional mushroom with adaptogenic benefits, this smoothie bowl will help keep your immune system healthy, tame inflammation and give you the energy to make it through your busiest days!
- 1 big handful of your favourite leafy greens
- 1 scoop high-quality vanilla protein powder, such as Vega Sport Performance Protein
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 1 kiwi, peeled
- 1 packet Four Sigmatic Foods chaga elixir (optional immunity booster)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1″ piece peeled fresh ginger
- juice of 1 lime
- 6-8 ice cubes
- to garnish: kiwi, granola, hemp seeds and toasted coconut
- Add everything except the garnishes to your blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Adjust the consistency by adding a little extra almond milk or ice if needed, then blend again.
- Pour the smoothie into a bowl and garnish with kiwi, granola, hemp seeds and toasted coconut.
Vitamin C Booster Smoothie Bowl
What makes it great: The name says it all – this is a vitamin C explosion! At the most basic level, vitamin C helps to support the production of white blood cells which fight off viruses and bacteria, as well as antibodies that help harmful things (think toxins, bacteria, foreign chemicals etc) from spreading throughout the body. As an added bonus, vitamin C (found in the citrus fruits, greens and berries in this smoothie bowl) is beneficial for the skin because of its antioxidant properties.Print
Made with grapefruit and oranges, greens and berries, this smoothie is an intense vitamin C infusion! Vegan-friendly, gluten-free and high in fibre, not only does it support immunity, but it’s also great for digestion and promoting healthy skin.
- 1/2 pink grapefruit, peeled
- 1/2 peeled orange + 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 big fistful frozen mixed greens (I used Swiss chard and baby kale)
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder (such as Vega Sport Performance Protein)
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or almond milk
- 6-8 ice cubes (+ more to thicken)
- Toppings: additional fresh citrus, raspberries, flaked coconut and raw almonds
- Whirl everything in the blender, adding a bit of ice to thicken if needed.
- Pour into a bowl, arrange your toppings and grab a spoon!