This Almond Butter Tofu Ramen will change the way you think about tofu. No more boring, bland, weird textures. These bowls will light up your tastebuds with sweet-n-spicy, deliciously nutty flavour.
For the tofu:
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp smooth almond butter
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 package extra firm tofu (about 14oz), very well drained and patted dry.
For the rest:
- ~225g uncooked ramen noodles (I like Lotus Foods ramen, which are whole grain, gluten free noodles)
- 4 cups water + 1 tbsp low sodium tamari/coconut aminos + juice of 1 lime
- 4 baby boy choy, chopped into bite-size pieces
- 2 cups snap peas, sliced in half
- 2 cups cremini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 /12 cups shredded or julienne cut carrot
- 1 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- sesame seeds, cilantro, basil, limes and green onion, to garnish
- Mix together all ingredients for the tofu marinade in a resealable container. Slice the tofu into bite-size cubes or rectangles and toss them around in the bag to coat. Refrigerate between 2-8 hours.
- When ready to cook, bring 4 cups of water to a boil on the stove. Add the ramen and boil for about 4 minutes, separating the noodles out as you stir with a fork. Once noodles have separated and softened, whisk juice of 1 lime and 2 tsp miso paste in until dissolved to create a broth. Divide the noodles between 4 serving bowls, reserving the broth and keeping it warm.
- Remove the tofu from the marinade and reserve the excess sauce. Stir fry the tofu in a hot frying pan for about 2-3 mins per side, or until crispy. Transfer to a plate to keep warm but don’t wipe the frying pan yet.
- Stir fry the bok choy and snap peas in 2 tbsp reserved tofu marinade until tender crisp, then the mushrooms in another 2 tbsp marinade. Arrange these, along with all remaining ingredients between the bowls on top of the noodles. Finish with the tofu, then pour the miso broth over all 4 servings. Serve hot.