Made with garlic, turmeric and ginger, this Anti-Inflammatory Creamy Curried Cauliflower Soup is an amazing healing blend that’ll keep you warm on the chilliest of days. It’s vegan, paleo, dairy-free and gluten-free, plus packed with vitamin C for a strong immune system.
For the roasted cauliflower croutons:
- about 1 cup extra cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 2 tsp melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- generous pinches of turmeric, curry powder, sea salt and black pepper
For the rest:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh ginger
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or bone broth
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup hemp seeds (I use these ones from Navitas Organics)
- freshly torn cilantro, hemp seeds and hot sauce (optional, to garnish)
For the cauliflower croutons:
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with foil. In a bowl, toss the cauliflower florets in melted coconut oil and sprinkle very generously with turmeric, curry powder, black pepper and sea salt. (Omit the sea salt if your curry powder already has salt in it.)
- Scatter them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Roast for ~20 mins, flipping around half way for even cooking. If you want them extra crisp, switch your oven the broil setting for the last 2-3 minutes.
For the soup:
- Melt the coconut oil in a large pot. Sautee the garlic and onion for about 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add the chopped onion, cauliflower florets, spices and 1/2 cup broth. Stir fry on high heat for about 3-4 mins, or until the cauliflower and onion start to soften and the mixture becomes fragrant.
- Add the remaining broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat, cover with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat completely. Let it cool for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring (in batches, if needed) to blender. Alternatively, use an immersion blender directly in the pot.
- Puree until smooth. Add the hemp seeds and continue blending, again until smooth.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with cauliflower croutons, hot sauce, cilantro and hemp seeds.
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop