These Crispy Chickpea, Sweet Potato and Kale Bowls with Garlic Tahini Sauce will nourish you from the inside out, leaving you feeling satisfied, grounded and ready to take on whatever life throws at you.
- extra virgin olive oil, in a mister
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and sliced into rounds
- 1/4 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 cup sliced zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, patted dry (this is key – remove as much moisture as possible!)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 lime
- about 5 cups of lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped into bite-size pieces
- roughly chopped fresh parsley, sunflower sprouts, pepitas, hemp seeds and lime slices to garnish
- flaked sea salt (I use Maldon or Frontier Natural Products Pink Himalayan Sea Salt) and freshly ground black pepper
Dressing (you will have some leftover, and I recommend doubling or tripling this for easy blending):
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp water, plus more to thin if needed
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 400F.
- On one baking sheet, arrange the sweet potato, zucchini and red onion slices in a single layer. Mist them all with extra virgin olive oil, then give them a generous sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper.
- In a bowl or sealed container, combine the chickpeas with 1 tbsp olive oil, curry powder, turmeric and juice of 1/2 lime. Give it all a good shake/stir, and dump the chickpeas out onto the other baking sheet.
- Put both pans in the oven. The vegetables will need about 25 minutes and the chickpeas will need about 30 minutes before they’re golden and crispy. Be sure to shake the pan of chickpeas every 10 minutes or so for even roasting.
- To make the dressing, whirl up all ingredients in a blender or food processor until completely smooth.
- When the chickpeas are nearly ready, steam the kale for 3 minutes or until wilted and vibrant green. Toss it in a little olive oil, a squeeze of lime juice and a sprinkle of sea salt. Divide the kale between 2 bowls.
- Arrange the sweet potato rounds, roasted zucchini, onion and crispy chickpeas on top of the kale. Add a generous drizzle of dressing, then garnish with parsley, sunflower sprouts, pepitas, hemp seeds and lime wedges.
Note: The chickpeas may seem a little soft immediately after coming out of the oven, but any that you keep as leftovers will become more firm as they cool.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: lunch, dinner
- Method: roast