These super juicy, flavour-packed baked Lemon Herb Salmon Cakes started as a craving and turned into a recipe that was even more delicious than I expected! Serve like a burger, wrapped in lettuce, or on their own with a fresh squeeze of lemon for a healthy lunch or dinner.
- 2 cups sliced peeled parsnips
- 1 cup diced onion
- 400g raw salmon fillets (defrosted if frozen)
- 1/4 cup very loosely packed minced parsley
- 1 tbsp fresh minced rosemary
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- a few pinches of sea salt
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup whole grain cracker crumbs (roughly 25–30 crackers whirled in a food processor, gluten free if necessary. I used Crunchmaster Multi-Grain ones)
- Preheat the oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with foil or greaseproof paper.
- Boil the parsnips in a pot of water for about 5 minutes on the stove, or until fork-tender.
- (If you need to make crumbs out of your crackers, I recommend doing it before proceeding to the next steps so that the food processor jug is still dry on the inside.)
- Roughly chop the onion before transferring it to a food processor. Pulse on high a few times to break down the onion into very small pieces.
- Drain the water from the parsnips and use the back of a fork or a potato masher to mash them up.
- Chop the salmon into pieces about 1″ in size.
- Add the parsnips, salmon, fresh herbs, sea salt and black pepper to the food processor and continue to pulse until a coarse mixture forms. (You want it to be a bit chunky, not a complete puree!)
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and stir in the cracker crumbs and egg whites. Give it a good stir to incorporate all ingredients.
- Scoop 1/6 of the mixture and roll it into a ball with your hands. Place it on the lined baking sheet, pressing down on the middle to flatten it down a bit.
- Repeat with the rest of the salmon mixture.
- Bake the fish cakes in the oven for 25 minutes, then switch to the broil setting for the last 3-5 minutes of cooking. This will turn the cakes slightly golden on the edges.
- Serve with fresh lemon wedges on the side if desired, and drizzle lemon juice over top before eating.
- Category: dinner
- Method: bake