To all of my fellow early risers out there, let’s be real: Sometimes, even the most dedicated morning people need a boost when it comes to finding energy in the early hours, right? Consider this smoothie a delicious liquid answer to that.
I’ve been resisting hooking up my portable air conditioning unit for as long as I possibly can this summer. It’s not so much because I find it noisy, but more so because I bought a super comfy arm chair last fall which currently resides where the A/C previously did. Rolling that sucker out would mean having to find a new place for both, and, well, this girl doesn’t like clutter.
To prevent myself from melting (and yes, I’m kinda exaggerating here because it hasn’t been that bad), meals lately have been all about things I can throw together without switching on any appliances – except my trusty Vitamix. This Coconut Mango Matcha Green Smoothie not only meets that criteria, but packs a serious nutrition punch too!
Here’s what’s going on inside:
- Matcha – Loaded with antioxidants, just a little bit of this powder will give you an energy boost – perfect for those mornings when you’d rather stay in bed.
- Plant-based protein – A scoop of protein powder will help keep you feeling satisfied for longer. It also helps to counter the naturally-occurring fruit sugar in this smoothie, making the overall impact on blood sugar less than it would be without the added protein source.
- Mango – Vitamin C, baby! This and vitamin A in mangoes help to keep our immune systems humming along
- Avocado – A source of valuable healthy fat, avocado (like protein) helps to lower the overall impact on blood sugar (also known as glycemic index) of this smoothie, and will keep you feeling full.
- Chia seeds – These are a great plant-based source of omega-3 essential fats, provide fibre to aid with digestion, and help add a bit of thickness to this smoothie.
- Ginger – A potent anti-inflammatory root, ginger is amazing for easing digestion, cramps, nausea and headaches. It’s also just really tasty, so feel free to add more if you’re a ginger fiend like I am!
I think you might wanna bookmark this one for Monday morning… ?Print
This mildly sweet green smoothie is loaded with antioxidants, plant-based protein, vitamin C and healthy fats. A perfect choice to help you wake up in the morning!
- 1 scoop vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein
- 1 huge handful baby greens (spinach + baby kale is what I used)
- 1/2 cup diced frozen mango
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1 tbsp fresh peeled ginger
- juice of 1 lime, + 1/2 tsp lime zest
- ice, as needed
- mint, to garnish
- Add all ingredients except ice and mint in the order listed to your blender. Blend until completely smooth.
- Toss in a few ice cubes and continue blending if you prefer a thicker consistency.
- Pour into a glass and garnish with a sprig of fresh mint.
I recommend using frozen mango as this will help to maintain a nice cold, thick smoothie. You can use fresh if you’ve got it on hand, but note that adding ice will start to dilute the flavour.
- Category: drinks + smoothies, breakfast, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, high protein, anti-inflammatory
- Method: blender
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 333
- Sugar: 14g
- Sodium: 341mg
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 10g
- Protein: 33g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
[Tweet “Anti-Inflammatory Coconut Mango Matcha Green Smoothie #recipe”]