Pamper yourself with this DIY Whipped Peppermint Body Butter, a natural, easy 5-ingredient recipe that’ll leave your skin feeling soft, smooth and moisturized. It’s packed with antioxidants and essential fatty acids to promote collagen production, and smells divine!
- 1/2 cup cacao butter (I use Navitas Organics which is cold pressed, organic, fair trade and non-GMO)
- 1/2 cup pure organic shea butter
- 1/3 cup organic virgin coconut oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 tsp peppermint essential oil (this is about 25 drops)
- Make your double boiler: Fill a small pot with water about 1/4 inch deep and place it on the stove. Bring it to a gentle boil.
- Place your glass bowl on top. The bottom should hover just over the boiling water and the edges of the bowl should be held by the sides of the pot. No water droplets should be able to escape out the sides.
- Melt your cacao butter, shea butter and coconut oil until no solids remain. Once completely melted, whisk in the olive oil and remove from the heat for about 5 minutes to cool slightly. Be careful when removing the glass bowl from on top of the pot to avoid steam burn. I recommend wearing oven mitts and have learned through first hand experience!)
- Stir in the essential oils and set the bowl in the fridge to chill for 1 hour. It will start to set around the edges, but will likely still be very yellow in colour.
- Use a hand mixer to whip the ingredients for 8-10 minutes or until completely opaque. (Have patience – this WILL happen eventually!)
- Let the whipped body butter chill for a few more minutes. It will set a bit more during this time. Scoop it into a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid.
Unless your home is particularly warm, your body butter should stay whipped and not melty. If it does melt, simply re-whip and keep it in a cool dark place. It will harden in the fridge, so I don’t recommend this unless you have time to let it sit out for a while before using.