Say goodbye to boring chicken with these easy One-Skillet Chicken Fajita Bowls, spiced up with zesty fajita seasoning and perfect for big batch meal prep.
Fajita Spice Mix:
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp each cayenne, ground cumin, ground coriander and garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each black pepper and sea salt
- 1 tbsp avocado oil* (see note)
- 500g boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced into thin strips
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fajita seasoning
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 each red, yellow and orange bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced thinly into strips
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- cooked brown/wild rice or cauliflower rice, lime wedges + torn cilantro, to serve
- Combine the ingredients for the spice mix in a small jar or spice bottle.
- In a bowl, stir together 2 tsp avocado oil, 1 tbsp + 1 tsp fajita seasoning, lime juice and the chicken strips. Stir well to coat. If you have time, let them marinate for 2-4 hours. If not, no worries – they’ll still be tasty regardless!
- When ready to cook, place a cast iron skillet over high heat and let it get hot for about 3-4 minutes. Working in batches if necessary, stir fry the chicken strips in their marinade until no longer pink inside (and slightly charred on the edges, if you like.) Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate and keep warm.
- Without cleaning the skillet, heat the remaining tbsp of avocado oil. Stir fry the minced garlic for 1 minute, then the peppers and zucchini until tender crisp. (I like to add a few more good shakes of fajita seasoning here.)
- Distribute rice into each bowl and top with the vegetables and chicken. Squeeze a few lime wedges over each, then garnish with additional lime wedges and cialntro. Serve hot.
- I’ve used avocado oil because it’s a good option for high heat cooking. Feel free to swap olive oil if you need to.
- For more flavourful rice, I prefer to boil mine in low sodium vegetable broth. You can also squeeze lime juice and stir cilantro into the rice prior to plating.
- For the vegans and vegetarians in the crowd, a great swap for chicken is cooked black beans or lentils. Stir fry them on the stove in a skillet with avocado oil and fajita seasoning until warm, then plate with all the other ingredients.