Hoorayyyyyy! Friday, you’re here. I’ve been ready for ya since Monday.
Let’s start with some gratitude today, shall we? I’m grateful that the temperature is going to be above 0 degrees Celsius this weekend. There may be a little bit of snow in the forecast (don’t get me started) but at least we’re above zero!! I’m also grateful for SUCH a great workout with one of my work buddies on Wednesday night. We did ALL the burpees, ALL the push-ups, ALL the front squats… and more. And I survived!
I’m also grateful for the fact that I’m getting to spend this weekend with a bunch of friends who are downright magnificent human beings. One is here visiting from Waterloo (my previous home), so we’ve got hot yoga and brunch action on the agenda for tomorrow. Turmeric latte, here I come….
Work It Out
If you’ve been following along over the last couple of weeks and you’ve done the Quick Trick Workout, You Against The Clock Workout, and Fast Feet Workout, then congrats – you’ve unknowingly been training for today’s session! Many of the moves are the same and are designed to work your entire body, building strength and challenging your cardiovascular fitness. For all of my friends who love to run out there, don’t you worry because there’s one coming up next Friday – I just need to test it first. For now, I’m challenging you to do as many rounds as possible of this circuit in 20 minutes. That’s just under 1.4% of your entire day and I know you’ve got it in you to push HARD for that 1.4%!
The Grinder Workout
This is a big circuit and rightly earns its name, but you only need a few bits of equipment. Grab a box or step, a pair of medium dumbells (for the clusters) and a pair of heavy dumbells (for the alternating lunges). Either watch the clock, or set a timer for 20 minutes and get right into it! Perform all of the moves as fast as you can, as many times through as possible maintaining good form throughout.
- Dumbell clusters – check out my demo here.
- Lateral hop-over burpees – these are burpees done by first jumping sideways over your dumbells, then dropping to the floor. Full description here.
- Squat jumps – to make these harder, hold one of your dumbells with both hands at your chest. Focus on getting as high off the ground as you can with each jump and try to land softly.
- Goblet squats – hold the dumbell with both hands by one end, letting the rest hang below. Keep it close to your chest and take a slightly wider than normal stance.
[Tweet “Challenge yourself to this total-body blitz: The Grinder #Workout”]
Turn It Up
Is anyone else loving the Zayn and Taylor Swift song I Don’t Wanna Live Forever? It took a while to grow on me but I find myself singing along whenever it comes on the radio now and I’ve been on the hunt for workout-appropriate remixes. Earlier this week I came across this Cosmic Gate Remix, and it’s pretty good! Let me know what you think.
Can’t see the video? Click here.
Have A Read
- Why sweatworking is the new networking – via The Chalkboard Mag – We do this regularly at work and I love it!
- Here’s what Michelle Obama’s workout routine looks like now – via Mind Body Green
- 12 totally free ways to practice self care – via Pure Wow
Now tell me… what’s happening this weekend? Please tell me about all of your fun plans!