Originally published January 2016, updated September 2017
Alright friends. Do me a quick favour.
Take a peek outside.
What do you see?
Probably not sunflower seeds, I know.
But unless you live somewhere nice and hot where winter doesn’t exist, my guess is that white and various shades of gray and brown might be what you’re looking at. Am I right?
That’s certainly what Raincouver looks like right now, and rather than letting the post-holiday back-to-real-life blues get the best of us, I’d like to propose that your eyes look at something a bit nicer. Brace yourselves for….
As I flew home from Bahrain last week, I found myself dreaming on the plane about a great big, beautiful, superfood-packed bowl of veggie goodness. Does anyone else get this way while up in the air at 35,000 feet in the land of pretzels and peanuts?
Compounding the craving was the fact that I woke up on said plane with a sore throat, and one that only seems to be getting more sore as this week progresses. Perhaps it was plane germs. Or perhaps I’m allergic to being back at work?
Annnnyways…. my crazy case of kale withdrawal needed to be rectified ASAP. The veggie gods were working in my favour because much to my amazement, Whole Foods just so happened to be open on New Years Day. As soon as I finished up my morning run I drove straight there to stock up on a bunch of ingredients that would soon go into what I’m calling a Fresh Start Superfood Salad.
This is a very similar yet much more sophisticated take on the Goji Kale Slaw I posted last summer (it was just sooooo 2015), packed with even more flavour, texture, greens, nuts, seeds and health-boosting nutrients. If you overindulged a little (or a lot) over the holidays, this bowl will surely set your bod straight. Think of it like a detox – minus the miserable things that people on crazy detoxes do.
Oh, and I have to warn you now that I’m having a moment with tahini. Heck, the moment started last summer so I guess we’re more like a long term relationship now. It has this magical way of making raw veggies in a salad so much more satisfying, especially when combined with all the nuts and seeds in this recipe.
As you might suspect, the dressing I’ve made here is tahini based, blended with a mandarin orange for sweetness, miso for a bit of saltiness, and apple cider vinegar to aid digestion (and to help break down the fibrous veggies). It’s the bomb and I’ve been putting it on errrrrrythang.
This paleo and vegan-friendly Fresh Start Superfood Salad will hit the spot if your body is craving a reset, and deliver a huge dose of nutrition at the same time!
- 6 cups shredded lacinato kale
- 4 cups shredded rainbow Swiss chard
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage
- 2 shredded carrots (i use a julienne peeler to shred mine)
- 1 minced or thinly sliced shallot
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup pepitas
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup goji berries soaked in 1/4 cup water for about 5 mins
- 3 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp hearts
Dressing (you will have some leftover):
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp miso
- 1 mandarin orange, peeled (or a small navel orange)
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- water, to thin if desired
- Whirl all the ingredients for the dressing in a blender and pour into a small jar.
- Combine all other ingredients in a very large bowl and toss to combine.
- Pour some of the dressing over top and toss again to coat.
- Let the salad sit either in the fridge or at room temperature for at least 10 minutes before eating. This will give the acid in the apple cider vinegar a chance to soften up some of the greens and make them more easy to digest.
Click here to print the recipe
[Tweet “Healthy lunchtime inspiration: Fresh Start Superfood Salad”]
So tell me…
- What kind of foods is your body craving these days?
- Anyone else totally dying trying to get back into routine? I’m trying hard but so far this week I’ve been very close to falling asleep in my dinner on several occasions!