Mood boosting compounds, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory benefits? Sign me up! Starring turmeric and other warm spices, these Golden Milk Coconut Cashew Butter Cups are a delicious, healthy treat to satisfy your sweet tooth. Paleo, vegan-friendly and naturally sweetened!
For the chocolate*:
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp chopped cacao butter**
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- pinch of sea salt
For the rest:
- 1/3 cup Golden Milk Coconut Cashew Butter***
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (or your flour of choice, to make the centers a little less runny)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- golden milk spice blend and/or raw cacao, for sprinkling on top (optional)
- Line 24 mini muffin cavities with small liners.
- Make a double boiler by boiling about an inch of water in a small saucepan. Reduce the heat to medium and place a glass or heatproof bowl over top. None of the bowl should be touching the water.
- Melt the coconut oil and cacao butter completely, whisking to incorporate. Follow wit the cacao powder, maple syrup and sea salt. Continue whisking until you have a silky smooth, melty, glossy, delicious-smelling chocolate. (Resist the urge to taste straight out of the double boiler – it’s hot! But tasting a little once cooled is a great idea, and you can adjust the sweetness accordingly if you like.)
- Using a tablespoon, carefully scoop just enough melted chocolate into each lined mini muffin cavity to cover the bottom.
- Set the muffin pan in the freezer for about 5 minutes so the chocolate can set.
- Meanwhile, stir together all of the remaining ingredients for the filling. The cashew butter mixture should be thicker than regular nut butter – similar to dough – which will help it stay in the middle of the chocolate cups.
- Once the chocolate in the bottom of each liner has set, scoop a small ball of the cashew butter filling/dough into the center of each. Press them down slightly so that there’s still room to fill the sides and top with chocolate.
- Use your tablespoon to fill each liner to the top, completely coating the golden milk cashew butter centers.
- Return the pan to the freezer one more time for at least 30 minutes.
- If desired, sprinkle the cups with golden milk spice and/or raw cacao before serving.
- The cups can be stored in the fridge or freezer in a sealed container.
- If you prefer to accelerate the process and not make your own chocolate, you can melt your choice of dark chocolate using this same double boiler method. You’ll need about 13oz. Chop it into small pieces to make it melt more evenly.
- I’ve tried making nut butter cups with all coconut oil instead of the coconut oil + cacao butter combo, but they melt really, really easily and get messy fast! For best results, I recommend not substituting the cacao butter. Alternatively, use dark chocolate as described above.
- No time to make the cashew butter from scratch? Instead, you can mix the same spices listed in the Golden Milk Coconut Cashew Butter recipe into 1/3 cup plain cashew butter. You’ll want to add about 1tsp of spices in total, or 1tsp of a pre-mixed Golden Milk blend. I like this one by Gaia Herbs. Sweeten your nut butter to taste, or omit sweetener if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 15 mins + freezing
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: dessert
- Method: stovetop