With a mixture of healthy fats from walnuts and hemp seeds, these Walnut Dark Chocolate Chunk Protein Bites will keep you satiated for hours, plus satisfy any sweet tooth or chocolate craving. You might want to make a double batch!
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats or oat flour
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup walnut pieces, divided
- 1/4 cup vanilla protein powder
- ½ cup chopped pitted Medjool dates, soaked in ½ cup warm water for about 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or honey, if you’re not vegan)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp walnut butter, or other nut/seed butter of choice (just avoid peanut butter as the taste is very distinct)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate pieces
- In the food processor, whirl the oats, chia and hemp seeds, and half of the walnuts (1/4 cup) into a flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and stir in the protein powder.
- Pour the chopped dates and their warm soaking water to the processor and pulse/process until broken down as much as possible. Add all remaining ingredients except the remaining walnuts and chopped dark chocolate pieces to the processor. Continue blending until smooth and evenly incorporated.
- Depending on the size of your food processor, either add the flour mixture gradually to the bowl and blend it into the wet ingredients, or add the wet ingredients into the mixing bowl and stir them into the flour. Either way, you’re looking for a dough-like consistency. Stir the remaining walnut pieces and chocolate chunks in last.
- Roll the dough into a ball and store it, wrapped in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.*
- Dividing the chilled dough into 10-12 even pieces, form small balls with your hands.
- Store in the fridge or freezer.
*The chilling time isn’t absolutely mandatory, but I find that the dough is easier to work with when cold.
- Category: snack
- Method: no-bake
Keywords: walnuts, snack, gluten free, dairy free, high protein, chocolate, dessert, no-bake energy bites, protein bites