As much as I love how pretty and pink they look, I can’t say I’ve ever been a huge fan of grapefruit on its own. The nutrition geek in me really wants to because they’ve got a long list of health benefits, including being low in sugar, high in immunity-boosting vitamin C and antioxidants, and all that water is super hydrating for our skin. But there’s always been something about them that I just didn’t love… until the day this smoothie was born.
Like many foods that are great for health but don’t rank high up on my list of favourites, I try to find ways to enjoy them – and I mean really enjoy them, not just pretending! This Low Sugar Pink Grapefruit Green Smoothie has been made in my Vitamix several times this summer, and I can officially say it’s one of the ways I adore pink grapefruit! Mixing the grapefruit with strawberries and lime gives it a nice tart citrusy kick, while also lending enough sweetness without overloading on sugar. If your body is in need of a re-boot, a mini detox, or if you’re just looking for some extra energy (in whole food form!), this one’s a must-make.Print
Low Sugar Pink Grapefruit Green Smoothie
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
This lower-sugar smoothie is a delightfully refreshing breakfast or snack, perfect on those days when you need an extra boost of energy and greens.
- 1 scoop vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein
- 1/2 large peeled pink grapefruit
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh or frozen strawberries
- 2 big handfuls fresh spinach
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 lime, peel and rind completely sliced off
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- a thumb-sized knob of fresh peeled ginger
- 1 cup chilled green tea
- 6–8 ice cubes
- Toss all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth. Add a little extra ice or a few teaspoons of chia seeds if you want to thicken the consistency.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: drinks + smoothies
- Method: blender
Pssst! If you’re looking for more anti-inflammatory recipes like this one, be sure to check out my Anti-Inflammatory Eating 101 Guide. It’s packed with all the info you need about how to get started on an anti-inflammatory diet, easy recipes and a meal plan that puts them all together. Grab one for yourself here!