Simple, nutritious and incredibly tasty, this Massaged Kale and Brussels Sprout Slaw with Maple Tahini Dressing is ideal as a holiday side dish, or any time your body needs a boost of greens! Vegan, paleo, gluten free and anti-inflammatory.
- 1 large bunch lacinato kale, shredded into small pieces (about 4 cups)
- 5 cups trimmed and shredded Brussels sprouts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- pinch of sea salt
- Wash and prep the kale and Brussels sprouts as indicated above. Stir the olive oil and apple cider vinegar together, then drizzle it over the shredded kale and sprouts in a very large bowl. Massage the veggies – yes, really get your (clean) hands in there!*
- Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a glass jar and shake very well to combine.
- Pour as much of the dressing as you like over the kale and sprouts. Toss well to coat as much as possible.
- Scatter the pumpkin seeds and hemp seeds over the veggies and toss again. Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle with additional seeds, if desired.
- Serve any leftover dressing on the side.**
* Massaging tougher greens like kale helps to break down fiber, which helps make digestion easier. The acidity o the apple cider vinegar helps with this breakdown, and the healthy fats in the olive oil help to make the fat-soluble vitamins in the salad more absorbable by our bodies.
** The dressing will thicken when left in the fridge, but adding a little water and giving it a good shake will thin it out again.
- Category: salad
- Method: no-cook
Keywords: Thanksgiving, Christmas, holiday recipes, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, anti-inflammatory, low sugar