Oreo lovers, take note: These Matcha Mint Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches are a better-for-you alternative, loaded with antioxidants from matcha and raw cacao. They also just happen to be gluten-free and vegan friendly too!
For the cookies:
- 1/2 cup almond flour*
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/8 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp maple syrup
For the mint matcha icing:
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients. Follow with the maple syrup, stirring well until evenly incorporated into a dough. Roll the dough into a ball, wrap it and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough out onto a flat surface (I used a piece of parchment paper to prevent the dough from sticking to my countertop) and use a lid or cookie cutter about 1.5-2” in diameter to cut out 22-24 chocolate cookie rounds. Place them on the lined cookie sheets. (They won’t grow very much, so it’s fine to space them about 1” apart.)
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 mins.
- Meanwhile, make the mint matcha icing. Whip all of the ingredients together using an electric mixer or stand mixer until thickened. If it doesn’t thicken as much as you want it to, add a pinch of cornstarch or brown rice flour. (Just a pinch!)
- Once the cookies have baked and completely cooled, use a teaspoon to scoop a bit of frosting onto the rough side of each one. Use the remaining 11-12 cookies as lids, sandwiching the icing in between.
*I haven’t tried this recipe with all almond flour yet (which would make them paleo-friendly) because I anticipated the cookies might be too flat. I think they’d still work, so please let me know if you try!
**Don’t waste the coconut water – you can use this in smoothies! Simply freeze it in ice trays and pop them straight into the blender. I first attempted the icing with homemade coconut butter, but preferred the fluffy consistency and look of the recipe with coconut cream instead.
- Prep Time: 20 mins (+ chilling)
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: snack
- Method: bake