Packed with protein, fibre, anti-inflammatory compounds and plenty of veggies, these Miso Ginger Cod Power Bowls are a perfect meal for balancing blood sugar and satisfying a growling tummy.
For the fish:
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tsp light miso (shiro miso is your best bet, and generally the lowest in sodium of all the miso varieties)
- 1 tsp pureed ginger root
- a few pinches of coconut sugar
- 1 cod fillet, about 160g raw weight, chopped into bite-size cubes (see note)
- 1 tsp toasted sesame or coconut oil
For the seaweed salad:
- 2 strips each dried kombu and kelp
- 2–3 tbsp dried arame
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
For the rest:
- 1 cup steamed or boiled thin green beans
- 1 cup shredded bok choy
- 8 shiitake mushrooms
- 4–5 thin slices of watermelon radish
- 2–3 tbsp kimchi
- sprouts, cilantro, mint, avocado and limes, to garnish
- Whisk together the miso ginger marinade for the fish (first 4 ingredients) in a small bowl, then pour it into a resealable bag or container along with the fish cubes. Let the fish marinate for at least 1 hour.
- While the fish marinates, make the seaweed salad by soaking the kombu, kelp and arame in warm water for about 5 minutes. Once soft, drain off the warm water and toss in sesame oil, rice vinegar and sesame seeds. Set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables as indicated above.
- When ready to cook the fish, heat the oil in a wok for 1 minute. Pour the entire contents of the bag into the wok and stir fry the cubes until opaque, about 3 minutes. Set aside and keep warm.
- Without cleaning the wok, stir fry the boy choy and mushrooms until just wilted, about 2 minutes.
- Arrange all of the vegetables in a bowl, followed by the seaweed salad, cod and kimchi.
- Garnish as desired and serve with lime wedges for squeezing over top before eating.
This recipe works really well with previously-frozen cod fillets as they can be easily sliced and cubed. Just be sure that the cod is completely thawed before cooking.
- Category: dinner
- Method: stir fry
- Cuisine: Asian