Zesty, spicy, sweet and super fresh, these Mango Jerk Chicken Bowls might soon become one of your healthy dinner time favourites. Serve them with brown rice, or cauliflower rice to make the recipe paleo-friendly.
Jerk Chicken Seasoning (makes enough to season 350g chicken – alternatively, use 1 tbsp pre-mixed jerk seasoning):
- ½ tsp ground allspice, dried thyme and coconut sugar
- ¼ tsp chili powder, garlic powder, cinnamon, paprika, sea salt and black pepper
For the rest:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 350g boneless skinless chicken breast (ideally organic or locally raised, free of antibiotics and hormones)
- 1/2 each yellow and orange bell peppers
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 ripe mango, peeled + diced
- 1/4 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and sliced
- torn fresh cilantro + limes, to garnish + season
- choice of brown rice or cauliflower rice, to serve
- Prepare the seasoning by combining all spices listed above in a small jar.
- In a bowl, toss the uncooked diced chicken in all but 1 tsp of the jerk seasoning. Try to coat as much as possible.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan for 1 minute. Add the spice-covered chicken and juice of 1 lime, then stir fry for 5-6 minutes, or until all pieces are cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a bowl but don’t wipe out the pan yet.
- Immediately add the peppers, red onion and remaining seasoning to the same pan, along with remaining lime juice. Stir fry in the spices until the peppers have just softened, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Remove from the heat.
- Season the rice: Squeeze a few lime wedges into the rice and mix in about 1 tbsp minced or torn cilantro.
- Assembly: Divide rice of choice between two bowls. Arrange (in this order): the seasoned bell pepper mixture, chicken, diced mango, tomatoes and sliced jalapeno. Top with diced avocado and more cilantro. Garnish with lime wedges and squeeze them over top before enjoying.
For even more intense flavour, rub the chicken with the jerk marinade and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour.
- Category: dinner, lunch, dairy free, gluten free, paleo, low sugar, high protein