Chocolate and peanut butter: a combination that you just can’t go wrong with! Make these Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Protein Bites next time you need a healthy-ish sweet treat.
- 3 chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup chocolate Vega Sport Performance Protein (or your fave chocolate protein powder)
- 2 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 2–4 tbsp water, added as needed
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips, chopped dark chocolate or cacao nibs
- pinch of sea salt
- Chop the dates into small pieces and set them in a bowl of warm water for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whirl the oats and protein powder in a food processor until it resembles a flour. Pour it into a large bowl.
- Discard the water from the dates and place them in the food processor. Pulse/process until they’re as broken down as you can get them.
- Add back to the processor half of the oat flour mixture, plus all remaining ingredients except for the chocolate chips. Process on low, then on high, until a mixture with cookie dough-like consistency forms. Add a tablespoon or two of water as necessary to keep the dough from getting too dry.
- Depending on the size of your food processor, you can either add the remaining flour to the jug and continue processing, or transfer the contents of the jug to your larger bowl and mix until evenly incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and pinch of sea salt.
- Wrap the dough in a ball and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Roll into 12 balls and enjoy!
The protein powder type and quantity that you use will affect how much water you’ll want to add to keep the dough moist. As described above, it should have a cookie dough-like consistency and after refrigerating, should be very easy to handle. If the dough gets too wet, simply adjust by adding a little more oat flour. If it’s too dry, add 1 tbsp water at a time. (A little goes a long way!)
- Category: snack, dessert, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian, high protein, chocolate, nuts, protein powder
- Method: no bake