I know it’s not exaaaactly beach season anymore, but I’m really not ready to let go of summer. With Hawaii on my mind, I’ve been prepping my tastebuds (and keeping my Vitamix very busy!) this week with tropical-inspired blends like this Pineapple Coconut Mojito Smoothie.
What’s so great about it? Plenty!
Let’s start with the greens. There’s a whole bunch of vitamins and minerals in this mixture of kale and spinach – specifically, a hefty dose of vitamins A, C and K, as well as iron, and that’s very important for those of us who are deficient and could use a little extra help! Kale is indeed one of the stronger tasting greens, but it works really well here. The tartness of the pineapple and limes, as well as the naturally-sweetened plant-based Vega protein powder balance it right out, so don’t worry – you won’t feel like you’re drinking liquefied leaves!
For an extra nutritional punch, I’ve also added chia seeds for healthy fats + fibre, as well as Sibu 7 Omega Pure, which is pure sea buckthorn berry puree. This ingredient is optional, but helps to further add to the tartness factor and delivers a whole bunch of antioxidants.
Lastly, I can’t not talk about the pineapple here because it’s the star of the show! If you’ve ever experienced digestive discomfort (and haven’t we all?) pineapple and ginger might be your secret weapons. Ginger is my go-to functional food for relieving digestive issues, nausea and any sort of inflammation in general, but pineapple is also very tummy-friendly.
It contains the enzyme bromelain which helps to break down protein during the digestive process. Studies have also shown that bromelain is beneficial when used to reduce inflammation, and if you’ve just done a sweaty workout, the pineapple-ginger combo is a fantastic choice.
Ok – recipe time!Print
Take your tastebuds to the beach with this high-protein vegan Pineapple Coconut Mojito Green Smoothie. One sip and you’ll be in heaven!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk or coconut water
- 1/2 cup packed lacinato kale, tough stems removed
- 1/2 cup packed spinach leaves
- 1 scoop vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein
- 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1 lime, peel and rind completely removed
- 1/3 cup loosely packed mint leaves
- 1/2” piece peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp Sibu Omega-7 Pure (optional, adds tartness, omega 7 fats + antioxidants)
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Add all ingredients except ice to a high-powered blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Toss in ice cubes as needed and blend again.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
Nutrition information is calculated using So Delicious unsweetened original coconut milk beverage.
- Category: drinks + smoothies
- Method: blender
- Serving Size: entire recipe
- Calories: 313
- Sugar: 15g
- Sodium: 494mg
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Unsaturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 9g
- Protein: 35g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
[Tweet “Take your tastebuds to the beach: Pineapple Coconut Mojito Green Smoothie #recipe”]