Get ready for a cozy bowl of warm, roasted-to-perfection goodness.
Call me crazy, but roasted vegetables are my comfort food. Roasted Brussels sprouts, pumpkin, squash, cauliflower, beets – any and all of them – I don’t discriminate. I’ll spend a long day at work, walk out to my car sometime after 5 (probably in the rain because #Raincouver), drive home in traffic, open the door to my apartment and immediately change into my jammies (because #priorities). A few minutes later, I’ll sit down to a bowl of warm, steamy, perfectly-roasted-and-crispy-on-the-outside veggies….. gahhh. Just the thought makes my heart go all melty.
While fall has been pretty kind to us weather-wise so far and I was close to melting while roasting sweet potato fries on Saturday afternoon, it’s inevitable that the dreary stuff is coming. Therefore, let’s be proactive, shall we?
These Roasted Root Vegetable + Quinoa Bowls are that grounding, calming, comforting and good-for-you-on-so-many-levels dinner you need in your regular repertoire for the next couple of months. And if you think I’m gonna make you roast vegetables on a weeknight, think again! Seriously, I don’t have the patience for that either.
Instead, I like to make a big batch of the shredded Brussels sprout and pumpkin seed slaw on the weekend, all while roasting the pumpkin/winter squash of choice and boiling the quinoa. (Triple tasking – yes it sounds like a lot but trust me, you can do it!) It’s all done in 30 minutes or less, which means that throughout the week you just need to add whatever protein source you fancy. I’ve used chicken breasts here, but turkey, chickpeas white navy beans or marinated tempeh would all be great options too.
And all that after-dinner spare time you’ll have since you cleverly prepped this ahead? Might I suggest lighting your favourite fall scented candle, curling up in cozy slippers, reading that book you’ve been dying to get to or otherwise taking some screen-free time to yourself. If things play out according to my plan for this month, you’ll find me doing the same!
Cozy, grounding and packed with vitamins and minerals to keep your immune system strong, these Roasted Root Vegetable + Quinoa Bowls are the ultimate healthy comfort meal.
For the chicken:
- 250g raw boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used MeatMe sustainably sourced chicken – #eatlocal for the win!)
- 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ tsp dried herbs of choice, sea salt and black pepper, to season
For the roasted vegetables:
- 2 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, butternut squash, or other winter squash
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced purple beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tsp dried herbs or 2 tbsp fresh herbs of choice, sea salt and black pepper, to season
For the rest:
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa + 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups shredded baby greens
- 2 tsp each extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pepitas (I used Navitas Organics Superfood+ Chia Rosemary Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken on one baking sheet. Brush lightly with oil, then season with herbs, pepper + sea salt. Bake for ~30 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes and beets in oil, herbs, sea salt and black pepper. Scatter them in a single layer on the 2nd baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you want to make them a little crispy, switch to the broil setting for the last 3-5 minutes.
- Boil the quinoa in water according to package directions.
- In a bowl, toss together the shredded Brussels sprouts, shredded greens, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and pepitas.
- Drain the excess water off the quinoa and use it to line the bottom of 2 bowls.
- Once the vegetables and chicken have cooked, distribute them evenly between the bowls, followed by the Brussels sprout slaw.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and additional pepitas, then serve.
Now I’d love to hear your take: What’s your favourite fall comfort food?