Cozy, grounding and packed with vitamins and minerals to keep your immune system strong, these Roasted Root Vegetable + Quinoa Bowls are the ultimate healthy comfort meal.
For the chicken:
- 250g raw boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used MeatMe sustainably sourced chicken – #eatlocal for the win!)
- 2 tsp olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ tsp dried herbs of choice, sea salt and black pepper, to season
For the roasted vegetables:
- 2 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin, butternut squash, or other winter squash
- 1 1/2 cups peeled and diced purple beets
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 tsp dried herbs or 2 tbsp fresh herbs of choice, sea salt and black pepper, to season
For the rest:
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa + 1 ¼ cups water
- 2 cups shredded Brussels sprouts
- 2 cups shredded baby greens
- 2 tsp each extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp pepitas (I used Navitas Organics Superfood+ Chia Rosemary Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the chicken on one baking sheet. Brush lightly with oil, then season with herbs, pepper + sea salt. Bake for ~30 minutes or until cooked throughout.
- In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes and beets in oil, herbs, sea salt and black pepper. Scatter them in a single layer on the 2nd baking sheet and roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. If you want to make them a little crispy, switch to the broil setting for the last 3-5 minutes.
- Boil the quinoa in water according to package directions.
- In a bowl, toss together the shredded Brussels sprouts, shredded greens, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and pepitas.
- Drain the excess water off the quinoa and use it to line the bottom of 2 bowls.
- Once the vegetables and chicken have cooked, distribute them evenly between the bowls, followed by the Brussels sprout slaw.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and additional pepitas, then serve.