Growing up and into my early 20s, I just couldn’t understand what all the hype was about hummus. I wanted to like it, but it seemed so…. basic? Bland? Underwhelming? I’ve been a long-time fan of salsa and hot sauce, so for someone who’s taste buds like to be pretty lit up by spices, hummus just never did it for me.
That was until around my mid-20s, when something just seemed to click – an acquired taste, I suppose. Maybe it was all the exposure to the blog world, something that I had no idea existed prior to 2010 when Eat Spin Run Repeat began. All of the sudden I found myself wanting to get creative with all sorts of healthy snack recipes that I could take to work with me, and I had coworkers asking me for those same recipes.
I figured at that point that a solid, tried-and-true super simple hummus recipe was in order. One that I could riff on and mix up with different spices or fun mix-ins to prevent me from ever getting bored. Variations aside though, two things were for sure: it had to be EASY, and it absolutely could not be bland.
That’s how this hummus was born. Nothing fancy, just classic chickpeas, tahini, lemon, a few spices and a drizzle of olive oil. I hope this becomes a well-loved staple in your healthy snack routine just as much as it has in mine!Print
Chickpeas in all their glory! This classic is a must-have in any plant-based healthy snacking routine.
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until it reaches desired consistency, then transfer to a small bowl.
- Garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle of za’atar, coriander, chili powder or any of your favourite spices.
- Serve with pita wedges, raw veggies, or as a spread on sandwiches and wraps.
For a thinner hummus, add more tahini and/or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil as the food processor is running. It will thicken slightly in the fridge.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 0 mins
- Category: snack, gluten free, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian, low sugar, low sodium, low sugar, nut free
- Method: food processor
[Tweet “Super Simple Hummus – a staple for your healthy snack routine! #recipe”]