Fitness Friday, in fact. Yes, in addition to the blog getting a facelift, I’ve switched up the name of this weekly feature. There are a two reasons behind the update:
- When Fit Bit Fridays first started, I had no idea what a Fitbit (as in the fitness tracker) was
- I’ve never owned one and to be honest, am more of a Polar girl
While the name has changed, the content has not so you can still expect a workout, a song (or occasional entertaining video) and a roundup of fitness-related reading with each post. Let’s get straight to it, shall we?
Work It Out
Continuing on with the circuit-style, minimal equipment routines I’ve been posting lately, this week’s workout only requires a set of dumbells and a step or raised surface you can hop up on. It’s entirely up to you how heavy you go with your weights, and if you don’t have dumbells, you can totally just use your bodyweight. I’ve provided some quick exercise descriptions below, and you can print or download the image to your phone by clicking the link directly beneath it.
The Sweet Sweat Circuit Workout
The name might be a bit of a misnomer because there’s nothing sweet about this one – it’s tough! Do 3 rounds of the circuit below, one exercise immediately after the next, resting only if you need to. After 3 rounds, take a 1-2 minute rest. Complete the circuit again, this time 2 rounds through, before taking another 1-2 minute rest. Finally, do the circuit once, then recover and stretch.
Dumbell curtsy lunge on step – Click here for the basic move. For this variation, you’ll hold a single dumbell in your hands near your chest and start on a step. The rear foot that lunges backward should hit the floor on either side of the step.
Bench jacks – Think of these as jumping jacks on your step, where you straddle the step every time your feet hop out. You can keep your hands at your sides, on your hips, or wherever they’re most comfortable. For an extra challenge, feel free to hold dumbells. You’ll start on the step, hop your feet off and to the sides, then hop back up with feet together.
Dumbell renegade rows – Get into high plank position with hands grasping dumbells. Alternate rowing each dumbell to the side of your ribcage, then back down.
Single-leg burpees – Just like regular burpees, only on one leg. Do all 8 reps on one side before switching to the other.
Squat with overhead dumbell press – Hold a dumbell in each, near your shoulders. Lower into a squat, then rise and push the dumbells straight overhead.
Decline push-ups – Get into high plank pose with your toes on the edge of your step and hands on the ground. Do push-ups as normal. To make this easier, flip yourself around so your hands are on the step, making it an incline push-up.
[Tweet “Start the weekend strong with this Sweet Sweat Circuit Workout”]
Turn It Up
It’s been a while since I shared a country song with you guys, and for the haters, I apologize in advance. However, the kind of country I like is more of the top 40-style country (T Swift rocks my socks), so when Yesterday’s Song by Hunter Hayes popped into my Spotify recommendations, it went straight to my workout playlist. Yes, that’s right. I’ve been sweating to this one all week, singing along on my way to work, and quite possibly doing a little dance-along while meal prepping in my kitchen. I’m hoping it has the same effect on you.
Have A Read
- Daniela Ryf’s post-Kona Interview – As I mentioned last week, the Ironman Kona World Championships was on Saturday and Daniela Ryf won on the women’s side for the second year in a row. This girl is ON FIRE, as is Jan Frodeno, the 2-time mens champ – and both of them are Asics athletes! She’s incredibly inspiring and an example of what hard work and dedication to sport can do. LOVE this girl!
- How can I go from office worker to world-class athlete? – via Outside Online. A story from another Ironman Kona competitor, Sarah Piampiano
- 10 simple ways to squeeze in yoga every day – via Mind Body Green
Now over to you! Let’s hear…
- Are there any professional athletes that are inspiring you right now?
- What’s on your weekend agenda?