Make it once, enjoy it all week long! This Tuscan Bean and Quinoa Salad makes a perfect plant-based lunch or dinner that’ll leave you feeling satisfied and energized.
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa (this will make about 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1 ½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded spinach or baby greens
- 2 cups cooked beans of choice (Great Northern beans, white navy beans, kidney beans and chickpeas are all great)
- 1 large roasted red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes soaked in hot water for 10 mins to rehydrate
- 1/4 cup very thinly sliced red onion
- 2 tbsp finely minced fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh basil
- 1 tsp dried Mediterranean seasoning or blend of Italian herbs
For the dressing (you may have some leftover):
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp dark balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Boil the quinoa in water according to package directions, about 10 minutes. While it cooks, prepare all remaining ingredients as directed above and toss them together in a large bowl.
- When the quinoa is finished cooking, drain off any excess boiling liquid and let it cool in the fridge for 5-10 minutes. (This will prevent the heat from wilting the greens.)
- Whisk together the dressing. Pour it over the salad and toss well to coat.
- Once the quinoa has cooled, stir it into the rest of the ingredients. Adjust to taste with sea salt and black pepper, plus a little more Mediterranean seasoning if you like. Note that the flavour will intensify after the salad has been left to sit for a few hours.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over top, if desired.