Need a quick snack on the go, or a healthy sweet treat after dinner? These protein bites have a gorgeous, nutty flavour and cookie dough-like consistency. Their high protein content will keep you satisfied, even on your busiest days.
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Medjool dates, soaked in warm water for about 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped raw almonds or loosely packed almond flour (see note)
- 1/4 cup vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein or your fave protein powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- As the dates soak, whirl the oats and coconut in the food processor until they resemble a flour. Do the same with the almonds, if using chopped ones.
- Combine the ground oats, coconut, almonds/almond flour, protein powder, cinnamon and sea salt in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pour the excess water off the dates and pulse them in the processor until the pieces are as tiny as possible. (Scrape down the edges with a spatula occasionally.) Add the maple syrup, water, almond butter and vanilla. Continue processing until the mixture is as smooth as possible.
- Gradually add the dry mixture to the processor and blend, again, scraping down the edges every so often. Add a little water if the mixture seems too dry.
- If your processor bowl starts to get too full, do the rest of your combining in the mixing bowl. Stir until well-combined, and if needed, add a tablespoon of water at a time to maintain a dough-like consistency.
- Wrap the dough in a ball and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Breaking off a little at a time, roll into 12 balls.
I like to store these in the fridge or freezer because they taste wonderful (and very much like cookie dough!) when they’re cold. Be sure to use a sealed container for any leftovers.