Dessert? Snack? Breakfast on the go? All of the above! These vegan Chocolate Chip Cashew Cookie Dough Protein Bites are insanely delicious and made of 100% whole food ingredients.
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted Medjool dates (3 dates), soaked in warm water for about 5 minutes
- 3/4 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1/4 cup vanilla Vega Sport Performance Protein or your fave protein powder
- 1/2 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 cup mini dark chocolate chips (dairy-free if vegan), chopped dark chocolate pieces or cacao nibs
- While the dates are soaking, whirl the oats and chia seeds in a food processor until they resemble a flour. Pour it into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Pulse the cashews into very small pieces. Add (in this order) the soaked dates, protein powder, maple syrup, water, sunflower seed butter, vanilla and a pinch of sea salt to enhance sweetness. Continue processing until the mixture starts to resemble cookie dough. Add a little water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Pour the contents of the food processor into the bowl of flour and stir until well-combined. If needed, add a tablespoon of water at a time to maintain a dough-like consistency.
- Wrap the dough in a ball and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, which will make it easier to handle.
- Breaking off a little at a time, roll into 12 balls.
These can be enjoyed right away, or store in an air-tight container. If you make a double (or triple!) batch, they can also be frozen in sealed bags if needed.
To keep the recipe gluten-free, be sure to choose certified gluten-free oats. I usually use Bob’s Red Mill ones, which I’ve linked above.
If you prefer not to use protein powder, simply increase oats to 1 cup.
- Category: snacks, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, high protein
- Method: no bake