Try this high-protein, cozy Zucchini Noodle Shrimp Pho made with soothing, flavourful broth, fresh herbs and spiralized zucchini. It’s paleo and Whole30 friendly too!
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- 2” piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- juice of ½ lime, plus more wedges to garnish
- 6 cups broth of choice – if you have homemade bone broth, this is perrrrrfect
- 3 cups water
- 3 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 275g raw shrimp, defrosted
- 2 medium zucchini (or actual pho noodles – you can find these in the Asian section of most grocery stores, but this will make the recipe no longer grain-free)
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 2 cups sliced organic mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (remove seeds to bring the heat level down)
- fresh cilantro, mint, or Thai basil (or all 3)
Place a large pot on the stove over high heat. Add the garlic, onions (just the white parts for now – set the green bits aside), ginger, fish sauce, tamari and lime juice. Stir for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Pour in the broth, water, and kaffir lime leaves, if using. Cover the pot with a lid, turn the heat to medium, and let the flavours develop for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, take the tails off of the shrimp and set them aside. Prepare all remaining ingredients (zucchini through fresh herbs) and place them in a large bowl or on a plate.
Pour the shrimp into the broth mixture and remove from the heat. The shrimp should be cooked in about 4 minutes if you leave the lid on, and should turn completely opaque.
Distribute the zucchini noodles, bean sprouts and mushrooms evenly between 3-4 bowls.
Remove the kaffir lime leaves from the pot. Ladle the shrimp and broth mixture into the bowls.
Arrange the remaining ingredients (light green parts of the onions, lime wedges, jalapeno pepper slices and fresh herbs on top and serve immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: soup
- Method: stovetop
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: pho, paleo, whole30, grain-free, seafood, soup