With some of the season’s best produce, simple ingredients and a light balsamic vinaigrette are all you need for salad magic. This Baby Heirloom Tomato, Cucumber and Quinoa Salad is a crowd-pleaser, but also works well when made ahead in big batches.
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups mixed heirloom or baby tomatoes
- 1 medium English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 packed tbsp each shredded fresh basil, parsley and mint
- 1 cup loosely packed sunflower sprouts or pea shoots
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and halved
Balsamic vinaigrette (you will have lots leftover):
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried mixed herbs (such as parsley, basil and oregano)
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 clove finely minced or pressed garlic
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Boil the quinoa in 1 1/3 cups of water on the stove for 12-14 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed and the grains are puffy. Drain any excess water, then transfer it to a bowl and let it chill in the fridge.
- Meanwhile, shake up all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar or bottle, or if you prefer, blend them all together in your blender.
- Prepare all of the vegetables as indicated above. In a large bowl, toss the tomatoes, cucumber, fresh herbs and sunflower sprouts with the chilled quinoa and a few tablespoons of dressing. Season to taste with flaked sea salt and pepper, then let it sit for a few minutes to let the flavours develop.
- Divide the salad between two bowls, topping with sliced avocado, a sprinkle of hemp seeds and the boiled eggs. Serve with extra dressing on the side if desired.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: salad, lunch, dairy free, gluten free, vegetarian
- Method: boil