This Balsamic Peach and Quinoa Salad is sweet, juicy perfection. Made with fresh summer fruit, it’s a to-die-for lunch – especially when enjoyed al fresco!
- 1 x 28oz can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained well (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, plus a dash of sea salt, black pepper, chili powder and coriander (or whatever seasonings you like on your chickpeas)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 5 cups mixed baby greens
- 4 cups diced cucumber
- 1 large ripe organic peach, pitted and sliced
- ½ cup organic raspberries
- 3/4 cup pitted and halved cherries
- 1/2 avocado, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup Navitas Organics Superfood+ Coconut Hemp Pumpkin Seeds (or regular unsalted pepitas)
- ¼ cup each loosely packed shredded basil and minced parsley
- to garnish: sprouts and additional fresh herbs
For the dressing:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400F and drain any liquid off the chickpeas. Pat them dry and toss them in a bowl with the drizzle of olive oil and desired spices. Line a baking sheet with foil and scatter the chickpeas on top in an even layer. Roast for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally for even cooking.
- Meanwhile, boil the quinoa in 2 cups of water according to package directions – about 12-15 minutes on medium-high heat, or until all liquid is absorbed. Set aside to cool.
- Prepare all fruits and vegetables as indicated above, and gently toss everything together in a large bowl. Add the quinoa and chickpeas once cooled, and toss again.
- Whisk together the dressing and pour it over the salad. Toss well to coat, and allow the salad to rest for 5-10 minutes so that flavours can develop before serving.
I like this salad best when served chilled, and it’s one that tastes better the day after it’s made. Flavour-building magic happens when you let it sit in the fridge!
- Category: salad, lunch, dairy free, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, anti-inflammatory,
- Method: boil, roast
- Serving Size: 1/5 of recipe
- Calories: 457
- Sugar: 10g
- Sodium: 470mg
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 10g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 62g
- Fiber: 14g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 0mg