Need a healthy side dish that looks beautiful and tastes delicious? These Fancy Shmancy Herb Roasted Root Vegetables are perfect for cooler months and pack a punch of vitamins, minerals and fiber. Vegan, paleo, Whole-30 friendly and sugar-free!
- 2 parsnips or turnips, about 2” diameter*
- 3–4 purple beets, about 2” diameter*
- 3–4 golden beets, about 2” diameter*
- 1 medium butternut squash, about 2” diameter*
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh herbs such as rosemary, oregano, sage, thyme and parsley
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Wash and peel the parsnips, beets and squash. Trim as needed and slice into very thin circles using a mandolin slicer or knife. Try to get these as uniform as possible.
- In separate bowls (ie beets in one bowl, squash in another etc), toss the vegetables in a little olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle generously with fresh herbs, as well as a little sea salt and black pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables in a baking dish (mine is small – 10×6″), lining up a few slices of each type at a time. Use your fingers to stuff any leftover herbs in between slices.
- Put the dish in the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes. If you want the tops to be a bit crispy, broil for the final 1-2 minutes of cooking.
* Aim to try to find turnips, beets and squash that are about the same diameter so that they’ll line up uniformly in your casserole dish. You can always trim them after slicing in order to make them fit, but it’s easiest if you can find equally-sized ones from the beginning! My dish is 10″x6″ but you may need more vegetables than called for above if yours is larger.
- Category: side dish
- Method: roast
Keywords: Thanksgiving, root vegetables, roast, vegan, vegetarian, paleo, Whole30, sugar free, gluten free