From warm, cinnamon-spiced sweet potatoes to sweet juicy grapes, this Roasted Chicken Salad with Curried Yogurt Dressing will make you feel grounded + nourished.
For the pilaf:
- 1 cup uncooked buckwheat + 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 5 cups diced peeled sweet potato
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp freshly minced parsley
For the chicken:
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp orange juice
- 500g raw boneless skinless chicken breast (I used Meatme.ca locally-sourced, responsibly-raised chicken which is a fantastic option if you live here in the Vancouver area!)
- 1 tsp curry powder
- sea salt + black pepper
For the sauce/dressing (you will likely have some leftover):
- 1 cup coconut yogurt (or other non-dairy plain yogurt)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp each tahini and honey (you could swap maple syrup if you prefer)
- 1 tbsp yellow curry powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- sea salt, to taste
For the rest:
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1 cup halved grapes
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 4 cups shredded greens
- slivered almonds
Preheat the oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
In a resealable bag, combine all ingredients for the chicken marinade. Add the chicken, seal the bag and refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, toss the sweet potatoes in cinnamon, ginger, olive oil and parsley. Stir well to coat, then scatter onto a lined baking sheet. Roast for 25-30 mins, or until crispy. Transfer back to the large bowl and stir in the cooked buckwheat and parsley.
Cook the buckwheat: Pour the buckwheat groats and low sodium broth into a large saucepan. Boil, covered with a lid, for about 15 minutes or until most liquid is absorbed. Drain off excess liquid, fluff with a fork and set aside.
After the chicken has had a chance to marinate, place each piece on the second lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper, then roast for 20-30mins depending on thickness, or until internal temperature reaches 165F.
While the chicken cooks, stir together all ingredients for the sauce. Chop the celery and grapes, and shred the carrot. Combine them in a bowl with a few tablespoons of the yogurt dressing.
Distribute the greens between 4 bowls, followed by the buckwheat pilaf.
Once the chicken has finished cooking and is cool enough to handle, chop it into small cubes and stir it into the celery mixture. Add more yogurt sauce as needed.
Distribute the chicken salad between the 4 bowls. Sprinkle each with slivered almonds and serve.