The weekend is so, so close and I have a feeling it’s gonna be a sweet one. So far my agenda consists of a lunch date, a long run along the sea wall, another fitness studio to try with one of my work besties, and potentially a hike (fingers crossed!) Now all we need to do is get to 5pm. ? If a run is also on the cards for you this weekend, I’ve got just the thing for ya today.
Work It Out
With the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon coming up on May 1st, I’ve been working on trying to move my running pace a little closer to where it used to be. I’m still not there yet, but doing workouts like the one I’ve got for you today is definitely helping.
This is a very similar run to The Tempo Workout I posted a couple of weeks ago, with slightly different intervals. If you do it a couple of times per week, over time it can be really satisfying to see that the paces you’re able to hold during the peak efforts (and even what your ‘moderate’ pace is) are faster than when you started.
The Pace Pusher Interval Workout
This workout can be done on the treadmill, or outside if you have the ability to monitor your distance and pace. The main work is done over the course of 5 miles. You’ll go through a series of intervals, each one getting shorter but more intense. Choose your speeds according to the RPE (rate of perceived exertion, out of 10) column on the right hand side of the chart below.
[Tweet “Nail that half marathon PR this summer: The Pace Pusher Interval Workout #GoRunIt”]
Turn It Up
This week’s tune is another Spotify gem, and it’s called This Time It’s My Life by Micar. There’s a bit of a Bittersweet Symphony riff after each chorus, the video is just screaming with summer vibes, and when this song comes on during my long runs, it always gives me an extra energy boost. Enjoy!
Can’t see the video? Watch it here.
Have A Read
- Make Your Cardio Workouts Harder (Not Longer) – via Shape
- Gabby Reece’s 7 tips for working out when you REALLY don’t want to – via Mind Body Green
- Boston Bound? Fuel and Recover Like a Local – via Runner’s World. For all of you headed to Boston to either run or support a runner, here’s your city guide!
Now it’s over to you. Tell me…
- Do you have any exciting weekend plans?
- What are your favourite workout jams these days? I’m planning to put together a long run playlist to share with you guys, and would love your contributions!