Chocolate. Coconut. Can you really go wrong with that combo?
I don’t think so.
The weather’s cooling off (at least here in Vancouver it is) so these days I’m into the less-fruity, more chocolatey smoothies. I’ve got a post coming up in a couple of weeks about ways to winterize your smoothies, but until then, wanted to leave you with this one.
The first time I made it, I used cold coconut milk as you’d probably have expected. But the next time I tried, I tested coconut milk that was pre-warmed on the stove. Result? Delicious! Kind of like a chocolate coconut latte (or chocolate macaroon latte, I suppose!) If you’d like to do the same, I recommend using warm (not hot) liquid, as some blenders don’t deal well with excessive heat. I’ve got a Vitamix which has an optional venting hole at the top, so the air can escape. Either way, just be sure to watch out for steam and be careful when removing the lid. I promise the end result, whether hot or cold, is worth it!
Dark, chocolatey and full of coconut flavour, this Chocolate Macaroon Smoothie tastes like dessert but is healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast. You’d never know there were greens hiding inside!
- 1 scoop chocolate Vega Sport Performance Protein
- 1 handful baby spinach
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage (warm, if making the warm version of the recipe)
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tsp maca root powder
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ice (if making this as a cold smoothie)
- to garnish: toasted coconut and cacao nibs
- Blend all ingredients except toppings until completely smooth, adding ice as needed.
- Pour into a tall glass, garnish and enjoy!
- If you choose to make this a warm smoothie, note that the consistency will be more like that of a latte than a thick icy smoothie. It’ll be just as delicious though!